ESCIES User Requirements
Prior to the establishment of detailed user requirements for ESCIES, it was mandatory to explicitly define its mission and determine the data domain intended to be made accessible via the system.
ESCIES will be a "European Space Component Information Exchange System" for the support of European industry involved in space projects. It shall provide:
- A Pan-European electronic database that captures, maintains, and distributes information on EEE components for space applications.
- A networked information system to make up-to-date component data available to the European space community.
- Support for EEE component selection, application, and procurement by the European space community.
The main objectives of ESCIES are:
- To integrate the selection, engineering design use, and availability of EEE components for the European space community.
- To share EEE component data among European industry users who are involved in space projects, with the aim to consolidate and extend the European industrial base and its competitiveness in future space ventures.
- To use electronic data capture and exchange in order to eliminate duplicate data entry and allow the phasing out of paper based documentation.
- To build an EEE component knowledge base providing a European "corporate memory" for space component application and availability.
ESCIES shall provide all the necessary EEE component information needed for the:
- design and development of electronic equipment
- application and/or usage of EEE components under spaceflight conditions
- procurement of EEE components
in the frame of space projects involving European industry.
This information shall be available via an electronic Europe-wide network, which will have the necessary connectivity to permit access by all European users, both as data providers and data consumers. Users in the sense of ESCIES are European companies and entities on the various contracting levels (e.g. prime-contractors, subcontractors or equipment suppliers), national and international space agencies, procurement agents and component manufacturers.
ESCIES shall provide access to all the component data that is needed for European space projects by the European space industry, covering:
- Component Standards
- Component Quality Assurance: Reliability, Alerts, and Problem Notifications, Non-conformances, Lessons Learned
- Component Radiation Data
- Component Evaluation
- Component Manufacturers and Suppliers Data
- Previous Component Usage